Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Blaze is home!!!!


Not sure where to start or how to even explain Team Training with Good Dog! last week. I'm pretty sure I experienced every single emotion possible  - excitement, nervous, terrified, anxious, sad, happy, overwhelmed, grateful, ecstatic, and accomplished. I wanted this so badly for Wyatt, I've waited a year and a half for this week; however, I also felt this huge sense of responsibility, I had to succeed....but boy I had no idea how hard it was to succeed!





Four dogs had been placed with families, one of them was us! We all sat in a room from 8:30-5:00 Monday - Friday, learning about commands, forming bonds with our dogs, and becoming benevolent leaders.  We each were umbilical corded with our dogs (tethered) for the five days, the first three days after training we were not to speak to one another till we met back at training. Three of the four of us stayed in the same house, passing by one another with only a smile (oh yes and keeping our dogs from playing with each other).

We had the opportunity to practice our skills by going out to lunch on Wednesday and to the mall and lunch on Thursday. I learned fast on Wednesday not to offer the trainers a taste of my appetizer, as he took a bite of a fried pickle and then threw the rest on the floor right in front of Blaze (rookie mistake). Of course, Blaze passed with flying colors. While at the mall, we shopped, practiced the elevator and escalator. Blaze and I practiced walking slowly, not pulling on the leash, and that we didn't have to always be with the "pack" (hard for both of us). Blaze and I did a little underwear shopping as we practiced not being obtrusive in public.


A few of my favorite things/lesson learned about team training:

1) When I was able to give a command correctly and Blaze responded was the most amazing feeling ever!!  Prior to team training, I thought you just gave a dog a command. I didn't realize it took the correct tone and body language, and most importantly confidence. I never knew how high pitched my voice was till I was trying to get Blaze to go under a table and he kept jumping up on the table. Thank you Blaze for teaching me that lesson (he is much smarter than me).

2) Learning all things dog! We learned so much about our dogs, their personalities, why they matched with us, grooming them properly, and understanding the stress our "working dogs" might experience. I will always remember that no matter what happens it's the handler and never the dog, the dog law "if it worked; I'll do it again. If it didn't, I won't", and the integrity of my pack is more important than opinions of others.

3) The three other families! When your child gets a diagnosis of Autism, you automatically join this "club". A club of parents and therapists who fight for their children day and night, who hope that one day their child may talk or one day their child will have a friend (and many, many other things). As we would say in the south, these three other handlers were good people!  We all watched each other push past our comfort zones, watch each other fail, and succeed. We cheered and encouraged each other when needed. Oh, also they listened to me complain about not being able to socialize in the evenings - boy was that hard for me.

4) The Good Dog! organization is the  most amazing, caring, loving non-profit organizations ever!!!  I have never seen someone else care so much about their "clients". The trainers were patient, generous with encouragement, and confident with constructive criticism.  They care so much about the dogs only using positive training methods and encouraging us to remember our dogs are "thinking dogs"! They were able to provide such valuable information!  I can't imagine ever working with another organization.

Please know, they are a nonprofit and always accepting donations, if you have an extra $20, $100, $1000, or $100,000. I promise you your money will be well spent. Donations can be made on their website - http://gooddogautismcompanions.org/.

5) Blaze!! Oh my goodness, he is the most amazing dog ever. He is always ready to go, first dog ready to do the command (of course, only if I didn't confuse the poor guy), he is the biggest snuggle bug ever, and his eyes will make one's heart melt. He is full of energy and love.  I can't wait to see he and Wyatt bond.


On Saturday, Blaze graduated from a dog "in training" to a "service dog" and he has became a part of our family! Graduation was such an awesome experience! I am so grateful to be part of the Good Dog! family!



I am so thankful that I had my sister and brother-in-law (and three of their four children) sitting behind me at graduation. Our families have stood behind us with every step of Wyatt's diagnosis and journey. We are so lucky to have such amazing support.


This week taught me so much and I have so much hope for Wyatt and Blaze!! I can't thank the Good Dog! organization enough. I promise to share more about Blaze and Wyatt's adventures. Already I can say, we went to Target (Wyatt, Blaze, River, and me) and had a successful trip with no whining. We had a social bridging opportunity when we took River to camp and 15 kids swarmed Blaze and Wyatt was right in the middle of the action. We have seen Wyatt and Blaze make eye contact a few times (eye contact is so hard for Wyatt). I feel good things will happen! Thank you Good Dog!!!




4 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! I cannot wait to see more as Blaze and Wyatt become best friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natasha, you are truly a warrior mom. Your great love has given you the courage to go beyond any perceived limitations. You are inspirational. So happy for you and especially Wyatt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally! Our whole family has been anxious for Y-Man to get his service dog. A year and a half is a long time to wait but so worth it to make a huge difference in Wyatt's life.....not to mention Eddie, Natasha, and River! Looking forward to this journey for an awesome family. Love y'all so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to see that this was a positive experience for you and your family and that the final training went well. Having the family at graduation just reinforces how many people are supporting your family on this journey. Everyone involved with Good Dog! wishes you the best going forward.

    ReplyDelete